The world is facing a water and energy crisis. Around the globe, almost 1 billion people do not have access to electricity, while 2.1 billion are without safely managed water services.
Urgent action is required to deliver clean energy to limit the effects of climate change, and meet people’s basic needs for clean water and affordable energy.
The dominance of fossil fuels drives global warming, exacerbating these problems. With the demand for energy expected to double from 2015 to 2060, the world must look towards a sustainable, renewable mix of energy sources.
The International Hydropower Association (IHA) is a non-profit membership organisation committed to advancing sustainable hydropower.
Formed under the auspices of UNESCO in 1995 as a forum to promote and disseminate good practice about hydropower, IHA champions continuous improvement and sustainable practices across the sector.
Our membership today includes more than 100 organisations as well as individual members.
- Corporate membership includes corporations engaged as developers, designers, suppliers, owners and operators, plus organisations involved in the policy, planning, permitting, financing and regulation of hydropower, as well as non-profit organisations and national associations.
- Individual membership includes those who are working, studying and teaching in the field of hydropower or a related discipline.
Our research and policy programmes aim to support the sharing of good practices among organisations working in the hydropower sector. Learn more about our Knowledge Networks.
As the management body for a suite of hydropower sustainability tools developed by a multistakeholder forum, we support training and accredition for independent project assessors.
IHA has consultative and/or observer status with all United Nations agencies addressing water, energy and climate change.
Vision and mission
IHA’s vision is a world where water and energy services are delivered to all in a sustainable way.
Our mission is "to advance sustainable hydropower by building and sharing knowledge on its role in renewable energy systems, responsible freshwater management and climate change solutions".
We achieve this through four strategic objectives:
- Advancing policies and strategies that strengthen the sector’s performance
- Building a vibrant, inclusive and proactive hydropower community
- Creating an open, innovative and trusted platform for knowledge
- Delivering value to members throughout the world.
Read more: Our story.
IHA Central Office
Our work programmes and membership services are supported by IHA Central Office, based in London, UK. We also have liaison offices in China and in Brazil.
SE4All_Proud-Partner_Digital for web pages.png
IHA is the operating name of International Hydropower Association Limited, a not-for-profit company limited by guarantee incorporated in England (number 8656160).
Registered office: Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, SM1 1JB, United Kingdom.
VAT registration number: GB 221886503