ESG Gap Analysis Tool
The Hydropower Sustainability ESG Gap Analysis Tool (HESG) enables hydropower project proponents and investors to identify and address gaps against international good practice.
The gap analysis tool is based on the framework of the Hydropower Sustainability Assessment Protocol and provides an action plan to help address any identified gaps against good practice.The tool looks at 12 performance criteria:
- Environmental and Social Assessment and Management
- Labour and Working Conditions
- Water Quality and Sediments
- Community Impacts and Infrastructure Safety
- Biodiversity and Invasive Species
- Indigenous Peoples
- Cultural Heritage
- Governance and Procurement
- Communications and Consultation
- Hydrological Resource
- Climate Change Mitigation and Resilience
The tool is aligned with the World Bank’s new Environmental and Social Framework and IFC Environmental and Social Performance Standards.
It was developed under the mandate of the Hydropower Sustainability Assessment Council, with the support of the Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO).
Hydropower Sustainability Tools
The Hydropower Sustainability Tools were developed by the Hydropower Sustainability Assessment Council, a governing council representing industry, government, financial institutions and social and environmental NGOs. The tools are published by IHA as the council’s secretariat.
The tools comprise:
- Guidelines on Good International Industry Practice as well as two assessment tools:
- the Assessment Protocol to measure performance above and below defined good practice
- the ESG Gap Analysis Tool for checking for gaps against good practice and delivering a gap management plan.